How To Shift To Clean Eating - The Easy Way
Oct 16, 2018
Are you considering a move toward clean eating, but just cannot find the time to start?
It may be that clean eating sounds like an entire lifestyle shift, one that requires proper planning and proper initiation. You may be putting it off until you get a few days off from work or when that one big project is over. I know I am guilty of this. I always want the big weekend make-over like you see on TV. Here's the truth though... this kind of thinking is often just another means of procrastinating. Real change doesn't happen at the end of any retreat, power-session, or dedicated weekend. It happens bit by bit, one change at a time.
You will keep looking for reasons to put off change until you realize that you can just break down that change into smaller pieces and start integrating it slowly into your life. You will not be asked to change everything in order to live better and brighter; you only need to remember a few things as guiding principles and set out on a new journey - today!
Let's talk about those guiding principles...
One of the most important aspects of clean eating is what you choose to eat. That does not mean planning meals according to your grade school food guide; it means:
- Simple, whole, natural foods. Whatever you choose to eat, the closer it is to its natural state, the better it is for you.
- Avoid foods that have been refined, processed, or preserved. It is always better to go natural to benefit from inherent nutrients without the chemicals or preservatives that may reduce a food’s natural goodness.
- It is also a good idea to eat organic. In this day and age, enhancements and hormone treatments have crept into all kinds of foods. This ends up having an adverse effect on your health even if you are eating what you should in all the right quantities. It is important to start choosing organic when you can; a little vigilance goes a long way. (TIP: In St. John's, most of our local farmers are pretty close to organic if you speak with them to find out, plus the produce is always fresher. I often choose local first shopping around here!)
- Always read food labels and aim for a short list of identifiable ingredients. They tell you everything you need to know about the food you are buying. In general, the more ingredients a product contains, the higher the chances there are that the food is processed. Even if you try eating healthy, there is a chance that the products you buy may contain preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and colors that make the otherwise healthy choice, unhealthy. For example, read the label to make sure that the yogurt you add to your bowl of berries is not going to ruin your clean eating efforts!
Want more healthy tips that work for your busy lifestyle? Sign up for my free weekly newsletter!
- Eat your greens! This is the bare minimum to jumpstart yourself into clean eating. Try your hardest to incorporate leafy greens into whatever you are preparing for healthy servings of vitamins A, C, and E, all kinds of important plant nutrients, as well as increased fiber, which boosts your metabolism by assisting digestion. By filling you up with the least number of calories but the most amount of nutrients, leafy greens help you to be healthy with just one color. This is an easy place to start. With the myriad smoothie and salad recipes on the internet today, leafy greens can always find a way into your diet.
- Quit sugar already. We have talked about adding to your clean diet. Now let us talk about omission. One of the simplest things you can omit for maximum effect is artificial sugar. Start identifying all things that contain artificial sweeteners. Drop that can of soda, say no to that candy, and you are on your way to clean eating. Watch how your energy stabilizes and your mood lifts when you leave out artificial sugar that plays havoc with your blood sugar levels.
Clean eating does not have to be difficult or intimidating. Start small and implement easy, gradual changes into your regular eating habits to get yourself on the right path toward better health.
If you still feel like you need a plan to follow, I hear ya! To help you do just that, I've created a short done-for-you program that will help you take clean eating for a test-drive with minimal fuss. No big planning sessions required!
If you would like to learn more about my 5 Day Clean Eating Challenge, just click here. I'm offering it for FREE for a limited time only... sign up today!
Laura Nurse, BBA, ND
Other episodes you might enjoy :
How To Succeed With Diet & Lifestyle Changes
The #1 Way To Help You Change Your Habits
5 Secrets To A Successful Post Christmas Detox
Like what you’ve read?
Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.
I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.